About Me

My photo
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
I have worked in the travel industry most of my working life, owning my own agency for 14 years as well as working for travel industry suppliers. I wanted to share my life, my stories, my likes and dislikes with you and hopefully get some feedback from all of you out there in blogger world. I currently live in the Midlands, I am 45 years old and have two grown up children 24yrs and 19 years.

Monday 9 July 2012

Will the QE2 ever be a hotel


Five years ago the QE2 was sold for an estimated 64 million dollars by Cunard,  where is she now and
what of the plans to make her a luxurious hotel.

Well so far nothing has really happened to her she is currently moored in the not so lavish surroundings of Port Rashid.

Initially the owners had hoped to transform the ship into a lavishly-appointed 1000-room hotel, but now they say it will feature just 300 rooms, and will retain many of its original features.
Rather than moving it to the more tourist-friendly Palm Jumeirah, the ship will also remain in Port Rashid, where it is hoped it will help transform the area into a tourist attraction. A new maritime museum will soon open nearby, and plans for an expanded cruise ship terminal have also been announced.

So many people have a fondness for the QE2 and transforming her into something she is not I dont think would have encouraged people to stay on her but keeping her as she is and the character of the ship is what everyone remembers her by and would want to possibly revisit her to evoke memories of previous cruises.

One day I am sure they will complete what they set out to do and maybe with an expanded cruise
terminal people could tie in a stay on the QE2 before embarking on a cruise that would indeed be special.

Looking at the pictures of where she is docked now though I think some major improvements may be needed to encourage people there it does look quite drab and industrial.

Have you got fond memories of the QE2 as so many of my clients have what do you think would
you stay on her as a hotel ?

No comments:

Post a Comment